To better understand bed bugs, here are some bed bug myths provided by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) – part of their great collection of bed bug resources.
Bed Bug Myths & Facts
- Myth: You can’t see a bed bug.
- Fact: You should be able to see adult bed bugs, nymphs and eggs with your naked eye.
- Myth: Bed bugs live in dirty places.
- Fact: Bed bugs are not attracted to dirt and grime; they are attracted to warmth, blood and carbon dioxide. However, clutter offers more hiding spots.
- Myth: Bed bugs transmit diseases.
- Fact: There have been no cases or studies that indicate bed bugs transmit diseases between humans.
- Myth: Bed bugs are not a public health pest.
- Fact: Bed bugs are a public health pest.
- Myth: Bed bugs won’t come out if the room is brightly lit.
- Fact: While bed bugs prefer darkness, keeping the light on at night won’t deter these pests from biting you.
- Myth: Pesticide applications alone will easily eliminate bed bug infestations.
- Fact: Proper use of pesticides may be part of the strategy, but will not by itself eliminate bed bugs.
Other Helpful Bed Bug Resources
- How Long Can Bed Bugs Live in a Plastic Bag?
- Do Bed Bugs Go Dormant in Winter?
- Bed Bugs vs. Ticks: The Differences Between Ticks & Bed Bugs
- 4 Early Signs of Bed Bugs on Mattresses
- Do Bed Bugs Hide in Metal Bed Frames?
- How to Find Bed Bugs During the Day
- Bed Bug Prevention Tips: How to Prevent Bed Bugs in Your Property
ESS Universal manufactures and supplies high-quality, cost-effective commercial grade beds, mattresses, and furniture to camps, hostels, shelters, dorms and more. View our entire line of furniture products including our popular waterproof foam mattress for institutional use, single metal bed frames, single over single bunk beds, single over double bunk beds, and triple bunk beds. Download our catalog for detailed information on our complete product line.